In these drought plagued months, all we can talk about this summer is rain, rain, rain! This project will will keep us taking about rain, but for a very different reason.
Did you know… the Mount Hope neighbourhood was selected to participate in REEP Green Solution’s Rain Ready Neighbourhoods Project!? This 3-year project, funded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation is designed to help our neighbourhood reduce the amount of rain water reaching our storm water system.
Homeowners in those areas will receive support to:
- Beautify your homes with landscapes that manage rain;
- Reduce risk of flooding from storms; and,
- Work with your neighbours to green your streets.
The project gets started with a contest for homeowners where the grand prize is $10,000 toward a front yard makeover – but hurry, the contest closes July 20!
HOW THE CONTEST WORKS:
- Enter for your chance to win by July 20, 2016.
- Random draw to select 10 finalists on July 21, 2016.
- Interviews to be held with each of the 10 finalists to determine their eligibility for the grand prizes by August 9, 2016. Eligibility determined by feasibility to implement recommendations that will reduce the amount of stormwater runoff from the property (1stprize: min diversion of 3,200L; 2nd prize: min diversion of 800L).
- All finalists invited to the Rain Ready Prize Party to be held at a date to be announced.
- At the prize party, 1st and 2nd prize wiil be announced as judged by our independent RAIN Expert Panel
- Any finalist who is not awarded a prize is guaranteed to win a consultation with our RAIN Coach.
- RAIN Home Visits and Landscape Designs to happen between August 16 and mid-September 2016.
- Front yard makeovers and Rain Ready projects to happen in Fall of 2016 or Spring of 2017.
A limit of one entry per household.
Winners required to:
- Work with landscape designer from REEP Green Solutions’ RAIN Service Provider and Product Supplier List for HOMES.
- Sign an agreement to:
- Complete the project by May 31, 2017 unless an extension is agreed to in writing
- maintain the stormwater features in perpetuity
- host a neighbourhood workshop during the project construction
- have the property promoted as part of neighbourhood tours for up to 5 years
- provide receipts of all work completed and before/after photographs
- Implement recommendations that will reduce the amount of stormwater runoff from the property (1st prize: min diversion of 3,200L; 2nd prize: min diversion of 800L).
Stay tuned for the announcement of the Prize Party where the winners & finalists are announced!