2017 has been a busy & rainy RAIN season for the Mount Hope neighbourhood. The perfect year to build and test a rain garden! Just ask Steve & Jess!
For more project updates & to get involved, join us:
Tuesday September 26
7:00 – 8:30 pm
W.A.L.E.S. portable at 14 Braun St.
After one year of the Neighbourhood RAIN Smart initiative, there is much to celebrate.
- the first work party in the neighbourhood at 200 Waterloo
- 6 NEW rain gardens and 2 infiltration galleries installed
- 3 more planned before the end of the year
- and, a successful rain barrel sale.
After the success of our the first RAIN Smart Work Party at 200 Waterloo St., the RAIN Smart program is still looking for people in the neighbourhood who may want to install a rain garden in their yard by hosting a work party of their own.
If you are keen to participate you will receive:
- support in the design of your rain garden
- assistance determining the types and quantities of materials you will need for your rain garden
- a rain garden installer will be there to lead the installation and provide guidance on the day of the work party
- use of gardening tools for the installation of the rain garden on the day of the work party
- financial incentives of up to $1,500 for those that qualify. Visit https://reepgreen.ca/rsn/ for more details
In order to host a work party we ask that you:
- own the property
- work with the RAIN Coach on a design that will capture water from at least one of your downspouts
- recruit volunteers who are able to do the bulk of the manual labour on the day of the work party
- obtain the necessary materials such as plants, stones, compost, mulch, etc.
Reep Green Solutions is interested in hearing from anyone who may want to volunteer at work parties. It’s a great learning opportunity! For more details please come to the meeting on September 26, at 7pm or contact Reep Green Solutions.
Want to try your hand at building a rain garden before you commit?
Join this full day workshop at St. Francis of Assisi in the Lakeside neighbourhood – Saturday October 21, 2017
This workshop is part of the RAIN Smart Neighbourhoods project, in which two Kitchener neighbourhoods – Lakeside and Mount Hope – are receiving support to beautify their homes with landscapes that manage rain where it falls.
Cost: Free to register
Date/Time: Saturday, October 21, 10am presentation; 10:15am work party (all day)
Location: St. Francis of Assisi Church (49 Blueridge Ave, Kitchener)
Details and Registration: https://reepgreen.ca/event/building-community-building-rain-garden/
A TIMELINE OF THE DAY’S EVENTS (times are approximate)
- 10:00 am – 10:15 am: Presentation about rain gardens
- 10:15 am – 11:30 am: Digging out the rain garden
- 11:30 am – 12:15 pm: Refilling the rain garden with special soil/compost mix
- 12:15 pm – 1:00 pm: Break for lunch
- 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm: Planting plants, adding mulch, watering plants
- 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Cleaning up