Mark you calendar for another online Public Consultation meeting regarding the Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment application by Shannondale Developments for 152 Shanley Street. The application is requesting relief from setbacks, parking and density requirements to permit an 8 storey building, including an internal parking structure, rooftop amenity terrace and a total of 172 residential units. (The 8 storey building is greater than the 6 storey building desired in the vision developed with the neighbourhood in 2018.)
Date: Thursday, June 17, 2021
Time: 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Presentation begins at 7:00 pm, followed by a question and comment period. Please join the meeting approximately 5 minutes in advance to get set up.
Please register by the end of day Tuesday, June 15th, 2021 by emailing email@example.com. Please include your name, email and mailing address with your registration request so that we can confirm attendance. A confirmation email will be sent when you register, and a Zoom link will be sent within 24 hours of the meeting.
You can review the initial plans for the proposed development by visiting: kitchener.ca/planningapplications and using the map to navigate to the Shanley Street development. Or, you can click here to access the documents list including architectural drawings (with shadow study, parking plans, units per floor, etc) landscape concepts, transportation impacts and vegetation management plan… to name a few!
City of Kitchener staff want to ensure you have opportunity to send questions and comments. There are several ways to ensure you comments are part of the public record, which is part of the staff reports.
Here’s how to share your comments:
- Send to Juliane von Westerholt by June 11, 2021 –> firstname.lastname@example.org or voicemail 519-741-2200 ext 7157
- Attend the neighbourhood meeting on June 17 to add your comments or questions during the question period
- Share you comments with our Ward 10 Councillor, Sarah Marsh
- You can share your comments even if they are not concerns – all perspectives are welcome!
- If you are unable to email your comments, you can also send by regular mail to Kitchener City Hall, 200 King Street West, PO Box 1118, Kitchener ON, N2G 4G7, with attention to Juliane von Westerholt.
When sending comments, please include your name, email address, and mailing address with your comments. A copy of the comments you provide, your address and postal code will be included in staff’s report, however your name, signature, email and phone number will be kept confidential.
If you’re not able to provide comments now, but would like to stay informed of next steps and future opportunities to provide input, please send an email email@example.com or leave a voicemail 519-741-2200 ext. 7157 with your name and contact information, and your information will be include on the contact list.
Visiting the new Planning Applications site is worthwhile! You can see all the current planning applications across the city and what stage they are at in the process.
EDIT JUNE 6, 2020
In my blog post from May 11, I originally indicated that the 8 storey proposed building was in accordance with the Neighbourhood Vision Statement. In fact, the Vision Statement indicates a maximum 6 storey building.
There are a few other items outlined in the Neighbourhood Vision Statement that are not reflected in the proposed development:
- there is no ground floor retail, service or community use
- the building is entirely residential
- there is only one vehicular entrance/exit on Shanley Street rather than two
- there is no outdoor amenity space for the neighbourhood
- the overall design will reveal details about reflection/respect of heritage value
One point to note is that an additional property, 134 Shanley Street, a 2-storey, red brick house on the southwest side of the development site, has been purchased by Shannondale Developments. The project drawings show this house and buildings being demolished and the lot incorporated into the new development as the property driveway (entrance & exit). The project drawings list the new development site as 134 – 152 Shanley Street.
You can review the 2018 Vision Statement here.